NPHS Teacher Profile: Ms. Law

Posted by

By Sofia Carucci, Staff Writer

Question 1: How has teaching been throughout this past year?

Like a lot of other teachers, Ms. Law had to take on the challenge of learning how to use her computer without running into constant problems.  Now that she has been teaching virtually for some time, she says that it is not the worst situation.  However, she does miss seeing her students in person and feeling that sense of interaction with them.

Question 2: What has been your favorite memory since the start of Covid?

Covid has allowed for extra personal time.  Ms. Law enjoys having this time to reconnect with her close friends from college as well as her early childhood friends from kindergarten that she does not get to see anymore since the start of the pandemic.  She says “I do not think I would have gotten as close to them again, if it wasn’t for the fact that we were all on lock down.”  Along with Ms. Law being able to maintain a close relationship with her friends, she also took the time to contemplate life and take time for herself to do the activities she enjoys, such as going for walks and hikes.

Question 3: What is one of your favorite books that you have read since the beginning of Covid?

Ms. Law’s favorite genre is nonfiction.  One of her favorite books so far is How to Tame A Fox and Build a Dog.  She was especially fascinated about this book because over a short period of time, two scientists created a fox that acted and had similar features to a dog.

Question 4: What is your favorite country that you have visited?

Right away, Ms. Law knew the answer to this question, New Zealand.  While sharing her experiences with me she said, “I was intending to spend two weeks there, and I ended up staying three and a half months.  I went all the way down the North island and the South island by myself, camping off of my bike.  And it was so much fun.”  Ms. Law also added that the beaches, mountains, and forests were amazing, and she also enjoyed the down to earth people that lived on the island as well.

Question 5: What is your favorite hobby?

One of Ms. Law’s favorite hobbies is dancing.  However since it is a little harder to get out in public right now, she enjoys studying choreography of popular choreographers.  The other things that she loves to do is read and hike, and has even downloaded an app called My Trails that allows you to find any trail nearby.

Question 6: What made you want to become a teacher?

“I have always been a teacher.  Even when I was younger and had babysitters, I would play teacher with them.  I also come from a long line of teachers in my family.”  However, while she was working for an adult teaching organization, her friend gave her the final push to starting a career as a teacher.

Question 7: What impact have your students had on you?

To this day, Ms. Law continues to keep in touch with some of her students, one of whom became an earth science teacher who remember Ms. Law’s constant enthusiasm when teaching her lessons.  She also added that her students give her a sense of meaning, both professionally and personally.

Featured Photo: Provided by Ms. Law