The District Confronts Financial Realities

Posted by

By: Parker Reed, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Featured Image: Tierney Reed

As a result of budget issues, The New Paltz Central School District has experienced a harrowing past year; subsequently, our district leadership has made a series of proposals to try and find a fiscally responsible solution. The suggestions made by the district are leaving the New Paltz school community wondering what the district values and how our schools are evolving.

“The budget issue is a really big complication for the district right now,” stated Superintendent Mr. Gratto, when asked about the district’s financial concerns in an interview with Editors Georgia Schultz and Parker Reed in February 2024. 

The budget constraints have come to light as a result of the grant from the American Rescue Plan (ARP) expiring. Supt. Gratto and the Board of Education are beginning to propose changes that they feel should be implemented in the district in order to keep our school district running. This concern–of what will happen when the grant ends in 2024–has permeated every budget meeting these last two years. This is because the grant covers important positions in the district – four social workers, a drug and substance abuse counselor, and an assistant elementary principal as well as other positions.

So for the past year, the school district has been grappling with this pressing issue, seeing as all of the positions listed are extremely vital for a school district to flourish. So with the termination of this grant, many positions that were once covered may now be eliminated. But who decides what positions take priority over others?

Last year, during the May 2023 budget negotiations and subsequent vote, when the financial realities came to light, the board was able to put the problem on the back burner because the tax cap was raised to cover a percentage of the deficit. But this year, the tax cap may not cover expenses, and an already strenuous issue is just becoming more complicated.  

“We don’t want to do anything that is going to eliminate opportunities for students,” remarks Gratto, “so we are trying to make it so it doesn’t affect you guys. That is the goal right now.”

The mission of our superintendent and the Board of Education is to create the least amount of detrimental change for the student body, but the potential proposals may just terminate the positions that the community has said are instrumental. As a result, many students, parents, and teachers have spoken out, hoping to prevent these proposals from going into effect. 

Last year, the initial budget proposals called for cutting social workers and other mental health professionals. As they were hired during the COVID-19 pandemic, the district felt they were expendable. But when the budget was presented to the public, community members advocated for these positions and proved to the board that these positions were still vital, regardless of the fact that the pandemic is no longer a serious health threat. 

“Last year people came out and argued passionately to not eliminate social workers,” said Gratto, “the board didn’t eliminate them and kept them for another year.”

This year, the board is again facing serious questions around staffing. Recently, both Ms. Arkans, the former high school librarian, and Brady Tiernes, the former high school athletic trainer, have resigned. These positions, however, are not currently being filled because, when it comes time to vote in May on the budget, these positions are not guaranteed. 

According to Mr. Gratto, the district cannot realistically hire a replacement who is willing to take on the job when it may be on the chopping block come May. These proposals are leaving the public pondering what comes next.  

Librarians

As a solution to the loss of one of the district librarians, the district has decided to transfer Ms. Martin, the previous librarian at Duzine, to the high school. New York State law only requires a librarian to be present in middle school and high schools and not at the elementary level. While this may appear to be an appropriate solution, students at the elementary schools are getting their structured time in the library cut in half. This is because students are going from having a scheduled library class once every six days to once every twelve days. Meaning that over the course of the entire school year, elementary students are only getting a little over ten days in the library with their class.

“Books are both windows and mirrors; they offer a view into other people and lives, and they allow us to see ourselves in other characters.”

Ms. Arkans, the former high school librarian

To ease the nerves of the public, Gratto reiterates that “there is a clerk going opposite of the librarian, so the library is still open every day.”

Even though a shared library clerk is keeping the doors open when the librarian is at the other school, students are still not gaining the full educational opportunities that librarians facilitate. This is because clerks cannot teach reader’s advisory or digital literacy.  Mr. Gratto acknowledged that a librarian and a library clerk are not the same.

“A clerk isn’t trained to be a librarian; they put books on shelves and keep them neat and orderly,” informs Gratto.

While Gratto understands that a clerk’s primary job is to organize libraries, he still proposes that the school not rehire for the librarian position at the elementary schools. Libraries are more than just a room filled with books; they are a space for students to escape the real world and enter an imaginative one. This decision speaks to a larger question about what the district values and what they feel can be cut. 

Ms. Arkans, the former high school librarian, says, “books are both windows and mirrors; they offer a view into other people and lives, and they allow us to see ourselves in other characters. Both are vital for encouraging empathy and gaining knowledge.”

Seeing that librarians are key to unlocking a world of creativity for young students, the proposal to not rehire a librarian has created consternation in the school community, and the public is speaking out against this proposed change. 

“Libraries are and always have been a significant part of my life,” remarks Lila Ackerman, a freshman at the high school. “To see the district propose not to rehire a librarian is difficult because they are just as integral to our school as any other position.”

Lila and Ms. Arkans are just two of many people who feel the district should rehire a librarian since librarians have proven to be indispensable.

During the interview with Mr. Gratto, Georgia assured our Superintendent that “come May, when the budget vote happens, people will definitely show up and support the rehiring of a librarian because a lot of people value this position in the district.” 

Athletic Trainer

The other position the district has decided not to consider rehiring until after the budget vote in May is the athletic trainer. For two years, this position was filled by Brady Tiernes; after his resignation in February this position is now empty, and many students are concerned about the district’s decision.  

“I think it would be harmful to athletes if the district did not hire a new athletic trainer because this position is necessary for student athletes”

Annabel Voorhis

A large part of our high school’s spirit is owed to student participation in various school sports throughout the year. As a result of the broad influence the sports culture has at the high school, many students have benefited from the athletic trainer position. 

Senior Aidan Ifkovits has been forced to confront various injuries throughout high school. Aidan understands the importance of an athletic trainer because he was able to do the thing that he loved and participate all four years despite getting injured during his time playing. 

“Brady gave me the ability to train and push myself,” said Ifkovits. “Because of him, I was able to not worry about my body not being able to handle what I was throwing at it.”

And while Brady may no longer be at the high school, the athletic trainer position has proven to be extremely vital for athletes at the high school. Without one, student athletes will not be able to do the sports they love, and that acts as an escape from the outside world.

“I think it would be harmful to athletes if the district did not hire a new athletic trainer because this position is necessary for student athletes,” said Annabel Voorhis, a senior athlete at the high school.

While the position is currently not filled, many students like Annabel and Aidan have emphasized how important this position is. And as a result, they hope the district takes this into consideration when the budget vote happens in May and they hire an athletic trainer.

Capital Project

At the school board meeting on January 17th, the superintendent and the board of education also introduced a potential capital project. A capital project may occur every five years after the school undergoes a building condition survey to analyze what needs fixing. Along with the essentials the architects also inform the school if their desires are even possible. This includes an eight lane track, new bleachers, the installation of three turf fields, and maybe even a pool. 

“Hearing about a pool, something that is a bit unattainable at this point, at the same time that we were losing a librarian, hurt because the librarian position is an attainable fix.”

Ms. Hewitt, the clerk at the high school library

However, the conversation about the capital project at the board meeting only complicated matters because many didn’t see how the school could propose a new pool simultaneously as they proposed to not rehire a librarian.

“Hearing about a pool, something that is a bit unattainable at this point, at the same time that we were losing a librarian, hurt because the librarian position is an attainable fix,” said Ms. Hewitt, the clerk at the high school library, in reaction to the potential capital project. 

But what many do not know is that the money that funds the librarian and athletic trainer positions is separate from sport luxuries, and that Gratto does not think the Capital Project will be voted on until next fall. 

“We don’t even want to make a decision by May,” said Gratto. “We have got the whole budget problem to deal with, and if we throw the capital project on top of that, it is too much to digest at one time.”

Clearly, more information has to be collected and presented to the Board of Education and the public before decisions can be made. Superintendent Gratto is hoping that the community feels more at ease and can consider the potential capital project without the looming budget concerns impacting their perception of the district. This ongoing debate on the best course of action reflects the district’s evolution, despite the uncertainty surrounding the budget and its implications for our schools.

“It is my job to maintain the things that are working and to find solutions to things that need fixing,” comments Gratto. “So while it is complicated at times, I am never bored at my job. I am constantly in awe of the good that is going on throughout the district.”